The Institute of Tropical Medicine (ITM) in Antwerp aims at the advancement and spread of science that contributes to infectious disease medicine and to public health globally with focus on low- and middle income countries, inclusive of their global dimensions. The ITM provides fundamental, translational and applied scientific research, delivers advanced education and provides medical, scientific and societal expert services. The ITM is an open and international campus where staff, students and researchers work on new international health challenges.
The Department of Clinical Sciences strives for optimal diagnosis and treatment of tropical and globalized infectious diseases. The department also runs the Medical Services of the ITM, a national reference center for tropical, infectious and imported diseases and HIV/AIDS.
The Travel Clinic, one of the flagships of the Department of Clinical Sciences, is in charge of service delivery, expert advice, research, and training in all aspects of Travel and Tropical Medicine.
• You will work as a senior internist in the pre- and post-travel outpatient clinic.
• You will assist in the routine HIV/STI care.
• You will develop and build the core expertise of tropical medicine in close collaboration with the colleagues of the tropical diseases unit.
• You coach and support junior staff with complex cases.
• You provide expert advice to national and international bodies and stakeholders in the field of tropical medicine.
• You will be on call for the Infectious Diseases Unit of the University Hospital of Antwerp, in rotation with colleagues from the ITM and from the University Hospital.
• You actively participate in the research activities and studies conducted in Infectious Diseases, both at ITM and/or abroad.
• You coach and support students in medicine, master and PhD students and train assistants in infectious diseases.
• You contribute to (distance) education in tropical medicine.